We Are Looking For 10 Restaurant Partners For A Wicked Cool Ticket Promotion!
We have showcased the image on the right–our West End neighborhood circa 1907–as our ticket design for the last almost-10 years. We have no plans to retire it any time soon, rather, we plan to add 9 more designs to the mix. This creates a fantastic promotional opportunity for 10 local restaurants to earn new customers, service regular ones, and help support our mission to bring great movies to the Cape Ann Community.
In celebration of 10 years celebrating film and community, we will soon avail a new print run of 10 different tickets featuring antique post card images of Gloucester, which we will call “The Wayback Pack.” Not only will the image above and the 9 below be featured on them, but each ticket will be branded with the name and discount offer of one of our 10 Partner Restaurants!
“How can that be me?” you ask? Easy, for $799, you get:
* 50 of your personalized movie tickets (to gift, sell, use yourself, or whatever)
* a panel in our Dine-In Menu (as we allow outside food in the Cinema)
* a tag on our screen before every movie (over 1,000 per year)
* your menu and business card available in our lobby
* the ability to pay for 25% of this 12-month Partnership in trade
* the option of purchasing additional tickets at $5.00 each
* Cinema rentals (for private or public events) at just $249 ($100 off regular price)
Each design will have an initial print run of 1,000, and the 10-ticket “Wayback Pack” will be available to Cinema patrons for $80.00 ($30.00 off the individual ticket price), in a custom wrapper with a custom “Chawbuck,” a wooden-nickel snack coin which will be redeemable for $5.00 at the Cinema snack bar.
Please email me at CapeAnnCinema@gmail.com or call me at (978) 226-3800 to get started. Remember, only 10 of these packages are available, and additional ones won’t be available until at least November 1, 2017 (if any of the first 10 restaurants don’t wish to renew).
Here’s hoping we can work together!
TICKET #2 – THE BLYNMAN BRIDGE
The Bridge at the Blynman Canal, aka “The Cut Bridge,” was the only direct land-based point of entry to Gloucester and Rockport before the A. Piatt Andrew Bridge and Route 128 came in 1953. Late historian Joseph Garland characterized the pre-highway days as symbolizing “Gloucester’s isolation and contrariness.” The Cut has existed in some incarnation or other since 1643, and has long served as an excuse for being late to anything on the island.
TICKET #3 – ROCKY NECK
Rocky Neck in East Gloucester is home to The Rocky Neck Art Colony, one of the oldest working art colonies in the country. It has been luring to its shores artists like Fitz Henry Lane, Emile Gruppe, and Leonard Craske, who created “The Man at the Wheel,” Gloucester’s famous landmark sculpture, in his studio on the pier on Rocky Neck in the 1920s.
TICKET #4 – STAGE FORT PARK
This scene, from August 1907, is from the dedication of the plaque that still adorns Tablet Rock, the large granite boulder at the center of Stage Fort Park. The tablet commemorates the first settlement of the Massachusetts Bay Colony on that site in Gloucester in 1623 (which didn’t quite take and but successful when it was attempted again in 1628). The ramparts, which are popular tourist attractions today, were built during the Revolutionary War, and renewed for the War of 1812 and the Civil War.
TICKET #5 – GLOUCESTER CITY HALL
Gloucester City Hall is located at 9 Dale Avenue in Gloucester, Massachusetts. It was built in 1870 and dedicated the following year, and has served as the main location for the city’s offices since then. Built to a design by Bryant and Rogers, it is a two story brick building with Victorian features that have a strong Second Empire influence. Each of the rectangular building’s four corners is topped by its own pyramidal roof structure, above which is a small rectangular cupola with its own roof. Centered on the front elevation is a clock tower that is brick in its lower levels, and decorated wood above, ending in a copper dome. The building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1973, and included in the Central Gloucester Historic District in 1982.
ABOUT THE POST CARDS OF THE DAY
“The Golden Age of American Post Cards” started to peak around 1910, with all the cards in our collection coming from that period. In 1913, the U.S. Postal Service reported total pieces 968,000,000 pieces mailed. Today, collectors are called “deltiologists,” with the most serious of them turning their noses up at post cards offered that were minted after 1920. Rob Newton, the Creative Director of the Cape Ann Cinema & Stage, has been “card people” since childhood, when his late grandfather, Gloucester native Robert A. Chadbourne Sr. (1916-1995), spent his retirement meticulously compiling a definitive collection of Gloucester post cards. “Buppa” as he was known collected only Gloucester post cards, politely turning his nose up at post cards bearing scenes from Rockport, Essex, or Manchester.
TICKET #6 – THE SARGENT HOUSE:
For over 100 years, the Sargent House Museum was the home of sea merchants, patriots and community leaders. A fine example of high-style Georgian domestic architecture, the house was built in 1782 for Judith Sargent Stevens Murray (1751-1820), a philosopher, writer and an early advocate of women’s equality. Visitors to the Sargent House Museum learn about the early history of Gloucester from its beginnings as a farming and lumbering outpost to its evolution into the country’s premier seaport. Visitors will also see a collection of original works by the great portrait painter John Singer Sargent (1856-1925) descendant of the Sargent family, who loved the house and its ties to Post-Revolutionary Gloucester. TICKET #7 – STACY BOULEVARD
Resting on a granite base in the center of Gloucester’s long, narrow Stacy Esplanade is the Gloucester Fisherman’s Memorial. It is an eight-foot tall, bronze statue of a fisherman dressed in oilskins standing braced at the wheel on the sloping deck of his ship. It is positioned so that the fisherman is looking out over Gloucester Harbor. The English sculptor Leonard F. Craske (1882-1950) designed the sculpture, and it was cast by the Gorham Company of Providence, Rhode Island, in 1925. Generally acknowledged as Craske’s finest work, the Gloucester Fisherman’s Memorial is viewed by thousands of visitors annually and has become a symbol of the city, commemorating Gloucester’s link to the sea. A small plaque on the north or street-facing side of the base reads, “MEMORIAL TO THE GLOUCESTER FISHERMAN, August 23, 1923.” A larger recessed panel on the front or harbor-facing side of the base holds an inscription of bronze letters taken from the 107th Psalm, which reads:
TICKET #8 – SITTIN’ ON THE DOCK OF THE BAY… RATHER, THE HARBOR:
At the turn of the 20th century, about the same time that these post cards were first minted, the fishing industry began to undergo a big change. The wind-in-sail schooners that were the backbone of the world’s fishing fleets until then began to be displaced by steam-powered vessels and eventually petroleum-powered trawlers. In 1924, Clarence Birdseye invented the fast-freezing method of fish preservation, making scenes like the one above (in which fish were dried and cured for storage) obsolete. Learn more about the history of fishing in Gloucester at Schooner Adventure.
TICKET #9 – SQUAM LIGHT, ANNISQUAM
Annisquam Harbor Light Station, formerly known as Wigwam Point, was first established in 1801 and is now one of the oldest light stations in Massachusetts. The original wooden octagonal tower was replaced around 1897 by the existing brick tower. The site includes elements of the original light station complex (completed by 1814), such as the keeper’s house (which is still used as housing by the U.S. Coast Guard personnel who manage the site) and an oil house. An elevated wooden walkway leads to the 41-foot tall, cylindrical tower, which rests on a stone foundation. An enclosed brick passageway provides access to the tower. The lighthouse protects mariners from dangerous obstacles including long sandbars and a rocky shore along the Annisquam River. In 2008, the building made an appearance as a lighthouse in Maine in the film remake “The Women” starring Meg Ryan. The sand on the private beach (and many beaches around Cape Ann) is bioluminescent, glowing when stepped upon at low tide, brought to you by the countless thousands of tiny phytoplankton bodies you’re crushing with your flip-flops.
TICKET #10 – DOGTOWN
While its rocky terrain was not suited to agriculture, “The Commons,” the inland area between Gloucester and Rockport now known as Dogtown, was nonetheless settled in 1693. Its population peaked between 1750 and the turn of the nineteenth century, with about 100 well-regarded families residing there. At the time, remote locale provided protection from pirates, an issue that was of no concern after new coastal roads were built and the War of 1812 cleared the seas of such threats. After that, the abandoned houses attracted vagabonds and other squatters, and The Commons earned a bad reputation, possibly taking its name from the dogs that widows of soldiers and seafarers–dogs that eventually became feral. In 1830, Dogtown’s last resident–a freedman named Cornelius “Black Neil” Finson–was found half-dead in one of the crumbling house foundations, and was then remanded to the local poorhouse, where he died shortly after. During the Great Depression, local philanthropist Roger Babson hired some unemployed Cape Ann quarry workers to carve into various granite boulders in Dogtown inspirational words such as “Never Try, Never Win,” “Kindness,” and “Help Mother.” Today, Dogtown is a walkable Essex National Heritage Area, with guided tours available from the likes of Walk The Words. The “Whale’s Jaw,” pictured above, stood from the time that a glacier receded from Cape Ann some 18,000 years ago, and fell in 1989 when an illegal campfire raged out of control and scorched the ground beneath it.